db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: building j2me support in Derby
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2007 16:27:09 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Right now, we need 2 jar files in order to build the small device
> support into Derby. Let me give them the following names:
>
> 1) foundation.jar
>
> These are the pared-back versions of the core jdk classes in packages
> like  java.lang, java.util, etc.
>
> 2) jsr169.jar
>
> These are the pared-back versions of the java.sql and javax.sql classes
> needed to implement jsr 169, the small device version of the JDBC api.
>
> Getting these jarballs is time-consuming and requires clicking through
> licenses. For these reasons, the small device support is an optional
> part of the Derby build. It would be good if we could eliminate this
> time-consuming, license-encumbered step so that the standard Derby build
> always compiled the small device support.

It would be good to simplify the build but I'm not sure who this would
really help. For anyone using the official releases the J2ME support is
already there. For anyone building their own jars for J2ME then they
must already have the libraries for their own application.

> I can knock on doors here at Sun to see if I can get Derby versions of
> these jarballs which are licensed for inclusion in our subversion
> repository and usable by Derby's build process. I can't promise that
> I'll succeed but I'm willing to try. Before I do this, I would like to
> hear the community's advice:
>
> A) Would it be sufficient to get versions which are licensed for use in
> the Derby build but not for commercial use? Would that satisfy the AS IS
> nature of our Apache license?

Best to go to legal-discuss.

> B) Are there other ideas about how we could get Derby unencumbered
> jarballs so that we always build the small device support?

Two possible options:
   1) Look for an open-source J2ME option, Motorola has done MIDP but I
haven't seen any Foundation open source projects.
   2) Take the Apache Harmony J2SE source and produce foundation &
jsr169 jar files.
   2a) As 2) but kick off an Apache J2ME project so that all can share.

Dan.