db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Making Derby a top level Apache project
Date Thu, 18 Oct 2007 02:01:42 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top
>> level Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is
>> mature enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately
>> one way or another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the
>> Derby community. It seemed to me that the major argument for
>> promoting Derby to be a top level project was
>>
>> + This would increase Derby's visibility.
>>
>> The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was
>>
>> - This would force us to rototill our website.
>
> Just to note that all of the above is Rick's opinion and not any
> official position of the DB-PMC.
>
> I personally think there was at least one reason given that was more
> significant that updating the web-site. Since the discussions on
> DB-PMC are private I'll leave it to the individual who raised it there
> to raise it here if they so desire.

This was my comment to the DB-PMC, in case that was the comment Dan was
referring to.

"I would just like to say that I kind of like being part of the DB
project.  While we do have quite a few active committers and PMC
members, we do not have a particularly diverse group in terms of company
affiliation. Being part of DB helps mitigate that."

Kathey