db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Making Derby a top level Apache project
Date Wed, 17 Oct 2007 23:01:32 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> On 10/17/07, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Recently, the DB PMC discussed whether we should make Derby a top level
>> Apache project. The consensus seemed to be that a) Derby is mature
>> enough to be a top level project, b) no-one felt passionately one way or
>> another, c) therefore this decision should be left to the Derby
>> community. It seemed to me that the major argument for promoting Derby
>> to be a top level project was
>>
>> + This would increase Derby's visibility.
>>
>> The major argument against promoting Derby to the top level was
>>
>> - This would force us to rototill our website.
>>
>> What do you think? Should we move Derby to the top level?
>>

> What sort of "rototilling" are we talking about for the Web site Rick?
> Are there guidelines that will help us comply with the changes that
> are necessary?

Hi Laura,

I haven't wrapped my head around this myself, yet. At a minimum I would
expect some urls to change since we would be going from a
db.apache.org/derby namespace to a derby.apache.org namespace. For the
sake of external links back to Derby I would hope that the Apache site
would be able to redirect the old urls--but I don't know that. I think
that a detailed understanding of this could be provided by the folks who
managed our graduation from the incubator namespace into the db namespace.

Regards,
-Rick