db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Using DRDA server but not derby SQL engine
Date Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:26:40 GMT
ken gen wrote:

>     > I'm trying to work out how easy it would be to leverage the
>     Derby DRDA
>     > server endpoint, but instead of passing requests/queries to the
>     SQL engine,
>     > forward them to my application code directly. I'd like to use
>     something like
>     > JXPath, JoSQL or Quaere to actually generate resultsets and
>     return them.
>

>     I think DRDAConnThread would be the best place.
>

> This class is pretty opaque on first reading. Is there a single point
> at which a SQL statement is parsed, or is the protocol/state machine
> much more complicated than that? I see methods like |*parseEXCSQLIMM
> <http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/org/apache/derby/impl/drda/DRDAConnThread.html#parseEXCSQLIMM%28%29>*()|.

> Is it feasible to split out the SQL/Derby interface from the DRDA
> adapter, or are they too intertwined?  Ideally, I still like to plug
> and play with query implementations, but I suppose it depends on how
> much SQL knowledge is contained in the client side as well, or whether
> it's simply a network end-point with text pass-through, or it
> understands the SQL syntax itself.
>
>     An easier way might be
>     to use table functions, which will be present in the next Derby
>     release
>     (10.4). See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-716 for
>     details. With table functions, your application can generate the
>     result
>     sets and you don't need to modify the Derby code. Rick recently
>     uploaded
>     some demo code to this location:
>     https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-3129
>

> Will take a look at the demo code, at first glance it looks like a
> good option. What're the timescales on 10.4?

Hi Ken,

Currently 10.4 is targetted for release late in February. Please see the
10.4 release page for more details:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenFourRelease I'm guessing that
date will slip into March because the community also wants to spend some
cycles on a 10.3 maintenance release.

> Are there any docs describing how (if) Derby can unload a stored
> procedure (/ table function) definition, without restarting the
> server? I'm thinking along the lines of independent class loaders,
> similar to JSPs in a servlet engine. This would obviously allow much
> faster development times and be similar to T-SQL/PLSQL procs in other
> DBs.
Please let me know if I'm garbling your question: The user-written Java
code for functions (including table functions) lives either on the VM's
classpath or in jar files loaded into the database. If the user-written
code lives in a jar file in the database, then you can dyamically reload
the jar file in order to update the user-written code. The server stays
up and running while you reload the jar file. For the details, please
see the "Loading classes from a database" topic in the Derby Developer's
Guide at http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/

More information on table functions can be found in the same manual
under the topic "Programming Derby-style table functions".

Hope this helps,
-Rick