db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: How to donate code to Apache (Derby)
Date Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:23:50 GMT
> When is it sufficient to grant ASF licence through Jira, and when do
> you need to do more? And what do you need to do? Does it make a
> difference if the code is donated by a company rather than an
> individual?

Hi Dyre,

I think our general policy is to follow the guidance from
http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/index.html

Even though we are no longer part of the incubation process, we think
that these policies are wise ones.

The policies described there cover any situation in which there is
"a substantial contribution that was not developed within
the ASF's source control system and on our public mailing lists. "

I think that the section I just quoted answers your first question,
and I think that the information on the incubator page provides
lots of information about your other questions.

Specifically:
  - please work with the DB PMC to prepare and process an IP Clearance form,
  - and, if corporate contribution is involved, there is a
    corporate CLA that can be used to describe the corporation's
    agreement to this process.

Note that IANAL, just a contributor trying to explain the process
as I understand it.

thanks,

bryan