db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Fwd: Passing in objects to Stored procedures
Date Fri, 05 Oct 2007 19:55:04 GMT
Hi Dimple,

In general, the arguments to functions and procedures must be legal
Derby datatypes. Derby does not currently have a datatype for arbitrary
Java objects. Adding object support (ADTs) to Derby is tracked by DERBY-651.

In the short term, you could try passing your objects as Strings or byte
arrays. The corresponding datatypes for the database procedure arguments
would be varchar or varbinary. The client would then be responsible for
serializing the object as a String or byte array and the actual database
procedure code would be responsible for deserializing these forms back
into objects.

Hope this helps,
-Rick