db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kim Haase <Camilla.Ha...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Bad CSS link in generated 10.3 documentation
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2007 19:48:23 GMT
I think some piece of lore known to earlier release engineers got lost.
To remove the absolute path from the stylesheet name, you need to add an
empty definition of args.csspath to the docs.properties file:

args.csspath=

I learned about this by looking at the Apache Derby docs, but that must
have been at 10.1, since the more recent releases both have the absolute
path. If the docs.properties file is part of the Derby doc source, maybe
this edit should be checked into the source tree (and we'd need a JIRA
issue to do that, I guess). If it isn't, then someone should probably
add an instruction to the "Creating output" section of
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html.

The second problem -- the absence of the .css files -- is trickier. I
have been looking through the DITA toolkit files, but I can't figure it
out. I thought the three .css files that are in the top-level DITA
toolkit directory used to be copied into the output directory for each
manual. But as best I can tell, they're not there for any of the
releases. I am not sure they would do much good, though, because not all
the classes specified in the HTML output appear in these files. For
instance, "codeph" does not.

Why Safari on the Mac behaves this way is a question that may be beyond
our power to figure out. (I just installed Safari 3 Beta on my Windows
XP system and was able to see the codeph text just fine.) I thought
browsers generally ignored any attributes they couldn't understand, so
the absence of the stylesheets would just cause the browser to use its
default display behavior.

Kim