db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Derby Workbench or other GUI
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2007 09:15:06 GMT
Hi,

> Rick,
>
> Thank you for the information and ideas. I will look at that project
> carefully before deciding about the architecture of the software.

I'm working on http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1387 and
would be delighted to have an dialogue with someone working on an GUI
for Derby. Presently, I'm using a generic JMX tool, JConsole, for
testing purposes, but input from someone working with a specific Derby
GUI would be extremely valuable.

> Regards,
> Siamak
>
> On 10/10/07, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
> > Hi Siamak,
> >
> > Some work has already gone into creating management tools for Derby.
> > Please take a look at DERBY-1387. That issue describes a JMX-based
> > scheme for managing Derby servers and databases. It would be great if
> > you could piggyback your work on top of those JMX extensions. I think
> > you will discover that the people working on the JMX beans are wrestling
> > with (and solving) the same issues which you will need to face as you
> > build a management gui.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > -Rick
> >
> > Siamak Sarmady wrote:
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > Recently I was able to test Netbeans' JavaDB (derby) GUI tools and I
> > > should say it was a very enjoyable experience. But I also had some
> > > problems.
> > >
> > > - I normally create the database directory inside my program's
> > > directory and then use embedded driver to connect it.
> > >
> > > - Netbeans creates its directory in a specific place and it is
> > > difficult to change it to your own directory and back to its initial
> > > one every time. (to be able to manage several databases)
> > >
> > > - I want it to be able to manage different derby directories easily
> > > (in addition be able to manage/connect a databases using socket and
> > > TCP).
> > >
> > > Now, is there a GUI available which does all these things?
> > >
> > > If not then I might be interested in a project to build such a thing
> > > (like Netbeans' JavaDB interface but as a separate application which
> > > also handles mentioned issues easily).
> > >
> > > I appreciate if you can give me feedback on this.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > Mac

Staff Engineer, Derby/Java DB
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway