db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: How to donate code to Apache (Derby)
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:56:37 GMT

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:15:15 +0200, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM said:
> I'm reading
> http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/derby-2248-contribution-tests-ibm.html
>
> In the section titled "Verify distribution rights" there are two items
> that I don't quite understand:
>
> "Check that all active committers have a signed CLA on record."

this is less of an issue now at Apache because committers are only given
accounts after the signed CLA has been recorded (it wasn't always that
way in the past). You'll notice at
http://people.apache.org/~jim/committers.html that some names are in
italics -- those don't have signed CLAs and my understanding is those
accounts have been disabled.

All Derby committers have signed CLAs in place.

> and
>
> "Remind active committers that they are responsible for ensuring that
> a Corporate CLA is recorded if such is required to authorize their
> contributions under their individual CLA."
>
> I assume that 'active committers' refer to people contributing to the
> code being donated? (As opposed to existing Derby committers). What's
> the definition of 'active' in this context? At least one contribution
> in the last six months?

It's just easier to post that reminder to derby-dev and catch any and
all who have contributed in the past and might contribute more in the
future.

In an old post [1] I explained (or tried to explain) what the CCLA issue
is. The main point is the CCLA is there to protect employees who are
paid to work on Apache projects, and avoid any misunderstandings with
their employer.

I hope this helps.

regards,

-jean