db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Roles for Derby - draft spec uploaded
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 21:39:32 GMT
David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com> writes:

> Well, this is a standards-based product, but IMHO in this case I think
> the standard is being silly.  Call me a whiner.
>
> I suspect most tools do *not* have this kind of intelligence.  We can
> add it to NB, and probably someone will add it to Eclipse.  But what
> about Squirrel,  Toad, etc., etc.  By not just doing the obvious,
> we're forcing all these tools to clean up after us.

As I said, I think there is value to adding such a capability, and it
would not be in breach of the standard, since the feature is
implementation defined, if I read the standard correctly. I am just
trying to limit the scope of this first increment; I'll be happy to
work with someone who wants to add this capability now or later.

Thanks,
Dag