db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Trying out NB6.0 project in Derby...
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:19:11 GMT
Øystein Grøvlen <Oystein.Grovlen@Sun.COM> writes:

> With the help of John's excellent writeup at
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuildingDerby?highlight=%28Netbeans%29#head-681537d04a4de5433e397238dd9bf22eaf8611cb
> I fixed this by setting
>
> 	ant.library.dir=<path>
>
> as described on the wiki.  The way you enter this differs a bit in
> Netbeans 6, but it is still easy to figure out how to set it if you
> follow the description.

I think there are actually two aspects to the ant libraries: This
particular setting compensates for the fact that ant, when not invoked
via the ant(1) script, but programmatically, as does Netbeans, does
not set ant.library.dir, so compilation of Derby would fail.

In addition, Netbeans 6 tries to compile the sources on its own (not
via the supplied ant file). This, I think, is due to the new
integration between Netbeans and javac to allow Netbeans better access
to semantic information. The above setting is not sufficient: I found
I had to add the path of ant.jar to the libraries setting of the
project as well (in "Java Sources classpath"). After I added the path
there, the little read flags went away in the source on those lines
where the ant libraries are imported. (Of course, other libraries are
needed here, too, cf. those found under tools/java/ and mentioned in
BUILD.txt).

Another annoyance: Derby has a mix of source levels in the code base;
Netbeans only allows a global setting: when extracting semantic
information via javac Netbeans marks some 1.4 level source as
erroneous if my general source level is 1.5 (needed to allow generics
found in some parts of the code base), the error being not implemented
methods in concrete JDBC classes. I'd love to be able to set source
level per file to work around that. But Netbeans would also need to
allow a mix of platforms to find the correct JDBC interface being
implemenented, marking source level to 1.4 would not be enough;
Netbeans would need access to a 1.4 JDK as well to handle it, sigh.

Dag