db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lu, Chris (NIH/NLM/LHC) [C]" <c...@mail.nih.gov>
Subject Embedded mode: multiple connection & read-only Db
Date Wed, 12 Sep 2007 19:48:37 GMT
Dear Sir:

I run into Derby last week and found it is very nice and easy to use. Especially with embedded
mode makes it easy for software need to be distributed. However there are two features that
I can’t found in Derby:

1). Multiple users (connections)

Multiple connections are only provided for embedded Derby Server (not the pure embedded mode,
org.apache.derby.EmbeddedDriver). Please correct me if I am wrong.

2). Read-only

Derby provide a way for running on read-only media. However, does not provide a flag to set
the database to

read-only. In our application, we store all data in the database and don’t expect/want the
end users to modify it after we distribute the software.

Currently, we are using Hyper-Sonic SQL database. HSqlDb is also developed in 100% Java and
don’t provide multiple connection for embedded mode with R-W mode. However, multiple connections
are allowed when the flag of  “read-only” is set to “true” in the embedded mode. Very
nice and useful feature.

Just wondering if Derby plan to provide the same features in the near future. Thank you very
much and have a nice day!

*       Chris, Ph.D.

*       Sr. Systems Architect

*       Lockheed Martin/MSD/NLM/NIH