db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Require Java 5 (or later) compiler to build Derby
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 22:34:42 GMT
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
> > If I only have jdk1.5 environment will the build succeed, and if so will
> > it identify if I have somehow used a jdk1.5 specific library function in
> > a "non-optional" part of the code?
> Hi Mike,
>
> You will still need jdk 1.4 and you will still need to set j14lib in
> your ant.properties. That doesn't change. The Java 5 compiler will
> object if mandatory code uses a Java 5 feature.
> >
> > How is optional vs. non-optional code specified?  Is this an ant xml
> > file property in the directory for the code?
> Today, by default, all code is mandatory. You have to go out of your way
> to make code optional. I think that's a good model and I think we should
> stick with this model as we go forward. Today there are special build
> targets for the optional JSR169 and JDBC4 code. I think this is a good
> model to follow when we start introducing optional code which only runs
> on Java 5.

Not to pick nits, but then is this really 'requiring' the Java 5
compiler? If I can still build a workable Derby build with the JDK 1.4
compiler, then it's not really required.

Also, it's possible to include JDK 1.5 runtime classes and language
features today, see for example Knut's new buffer manager, although
he's using the jdk16 variable to make his targets optional.

If this vote is about allowing jdk15-specific optional build targets
into the build, I don't think we even need a vote for that, as long as
the base level we agree on continues to work.

andrew