db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.3 post-mortem
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 13:42:02 GMT
Hi Myrna,

Thanks for re-organizing the release instructions. Here is some feedback:

1) I like the high level time-line that you added. I think it gives a
new release manager a big picture of what to expect.

2) I like the additional material you added to the thematic sections,
explaining the tools you need for each major task.

3) I'm afraid I got a little muddled by the division of material into
themes. What's easiest for me to understand is a list of steps in the
order that you will execute them. For instance, between steps 5 and 6 of
"communicate with the community", something very important has to
happen, namely, the distributions must be produced and posted. Those
important steps are described in a later section. This arrangement of
the material confused me.

In addition, I have misgivings about the old section on snapshots. At
some point, I think that we should rework or maybe remove that section,
folding much of its material into the main body of the release
instructions. Snapshots used to be lighter-weight: they didn't require
signing or a community vote and they didn't include documentation. I
think that Apache policy now requires that the community must approve
each signed snapshot before we post it on the Apache website. In
addition, I think that a snapshot should contain user documentation and
should, in short, be a complete distribution--I don't think that it
takes much more time to build a complete distribution and it seems more
useful to me because it gives the community more to evaluate.

It seems to me that the following features distinguish a snapshot from a
release:

a) A snapshot is an alpha or beta distribution cut from the trunk, while
a release candidate is supposed to be a full-fledged, upgradeable
distribution.

b) You don't have to polish the release notes for snapshots. This is, of
course, an enormous chunk of work for a release candidate.

c) For snapshots, the vetting cycle is shorter and the community is
willing to tolerate regressions and serious bugs in the interests of
garnering early feedback.

Thanks!
-Rick