db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Requiring Java 5 compiler
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:46:56 GMT
> Thanks, Bryan. I was thinking of wiring a check into the "init" target
> of the top level build.xml. The build would fail if the compiler wasn't
> advanced enough. Would that satisfy your build requirements?

Sure, that sounds good!

I'm thinking out loud here, but my expectation is that, once you've
made your change, the impact on me ("Average Joe Derby Developer") is:

  - I have to install Java 1.5 on my machine if I haven't already
  - I have to add the line
        j15lib=/path/to/java1.5/jre/lib
    into my ant.properties
  - I can continue using the same ant.properties for all my 10.2, 10.3,
    and trunk builds
  - I use the same build commands (ant clobber/all/buildjars/junitreport/etc)
    that I currently use
  - If I do either of the first two steps wrong, I get a friendly message.

Is that more or less the way you envision this? If so, sounds fine to me!

thanks,

bryan