db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Requiring Java 5 compiler
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 18:04:11 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> I would like to start writing Derby code which makes use of Java 5
> features. More specifically:
>
> 1) I would like to take advantage of the Java 5 extensions for
> ease-of-use and stronger type checking.
>
> 2) I would like to be able to write regression tests which verify that
> user-written Java 5 code runs correctly as Derby functions and
> procedures.
>
> Would anyone object to our requiring that developers use a Java 5 or
> later compiler to build Derby? I believe that we would still require
> the presence of the 1.4 libraries and the expectation would continue
> to be that the compiler must compile down to 1.4 classes.
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

Discussion on this thread has died down so I would like to summarize
what has been said so far:

a) Java 5 source can't be compiled down to 1.4 class files. This means
that any code which is necessary for Derby to operate must be 1.4
source. This means that mandatory code cannot take advantage of Java 5
features such as enums, generics, annotations, and varargs.

b) The CDC small device platforms require 1.4 level class files. Java 5
class files will not run on CDC platforms.

c) There is no problem with using the Java 5 compiler to compile 1.4
source into 1.4 targets. This already works today for those of us whose
default compiler is Java 5 or Java 6.

d) Java 5 is available on all likely development platforms, including
Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

e) If we required Java 5 (or higher) in order to compile Derby, then we
could use Java 5 features in optional engine code and in optional tests.

I propose that we require Java 5 (or higher) in order to build Derby. If
there are no objections and no further discussion, then I intend to call
a lazy consensus vote on this proposal.

Regards,
-Rick