db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Requiring Java 5 compiler
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 23:18:57 GMT

Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Mike Matrigali wrote:
>> What about requiring jdk1.5 or higher for both building and running
>> for the next release made off of trunk?
>> /mikem
> Would this involve abandoning support for small devices? I think that
> CDC is still based on the 1.4 platform.

This is a good question, we should resolve this before going forward.  I
don't know the answer.  It would seem like a good thing to allow future
versions for derby to support JSR169/J2ME - does anyone know if this can
be done with jdk1.5 compiler/libraries.  This is a nice feature for
an open source db that can't be provided by a lot of other db's.

Maybe it can be done, but it has always seemed safer to me to always
support building in the lowest jvm environment that we support running
in.  If we really want to support building in 1.5 but running in 1.4
how do make sure we don't have 1.5 library dependencies in critical
portions of the code.

Depending on the j2me answer i think the time is soon to move our
minimum support from jdk14 to jdk15.  The question is if the next major
release is too soon or not.  It seems like we should move either in
the next release or the one after that.  More and more useful features
are being added that require jdk15 support and people have to jump
some hoops to use these (alternate build targets, multiple
implementations, call by reflection, ...).