db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Running the junit testsuite with a remote server
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 08:37:54 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Starting to reason from the tests, I think part of the issue is that
> there are tests that test the correct starting and shutting down of
> the network server; or that need the server to be started with
> specific properties as opposed to the 'normal' mode. And as far as I
> know we cannot start and shutdown a server on a remote machine, and
> thus these tests cannot run with a remote server.

So there is a group of tests that can only be run with the server on the
localhost and/or only make sense to run with the server on the localhost.

Probably there is also a group of tests that only make sense to run with
the server on a remote machine, for instance verifying that you are not
allowed to shut it down?

Finally there is the group of tests that make sense to run both with a
remote server and with a local server, and possibly also in embedded mode.
> Theoretically, all tests that do not need to test starting/shutting
> down, or that do not test the server with specific properties set,
> should, be 'runnable' with remote server that is already running.
> However, is that really necessary? What things could go wrong when
> connecting to a remote server versus a server on localhost? I would
> think mostly things to do with connections, permissions,
> import/export. So, maybe it makes sense after all to have a dedicated
> set of tests for remote server testing.

 From reading about the junit tests on the wiki and taking a look at the
code, I understand that the logic for controlling which test fixtures
are run with an embedded database and which fixtures are run with a
network server, is in the suite() method of the various test classes. I
guess this is the right place to put logic that will