db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Lance J. Andersen" <Lance.Ander...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SQLNonTransientConnectionExceptions and SESSION_SEVERITY exceptions that are not '08XXX' spec clarification
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 20:47:13 GMT

Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Lance J. Andersen wrote:
>>

>> Kathey Marsden wrote:
>>> There was a discussion started in DERBY-401 on this but I thought I
>>> would submit it as a separate thread.  The JDBC 4.0 spec says in
>>> section 8.5.1..
>>>
>>> "A NonTransient SQLException must extend the class
>>> SQLNonTransientException. A NonTransient SQLException would be thrown
>>> in instances where a retry of the same operation would fail unless
>>> the cause of the
>>> SQLException is corrected. After a NonTransient SQLException occurs,
>>> the
>>> application can assume that the connection is still valid. For
>>> SQLState class values
>>> that indicate non-transient errors but which are not specified in
>>> the following table,
>>> an implementation may throw an instance of the class
>>> SQLNonTransientException."
>>>
>>> TABLE 8-1 specifies which NonTransientSQLException subclass must be
>>> thrown
>>> for a a given SQLState class value:
>>> TABLE 8-1 NonTransientSQLExeceptions Subclasses
>>> SQL State Class SQLNonTransientException Subclass
>>> 08 SQLNonTransientConnectionException
>>>
>>> Derby has quite a few exceptions which are SESSION_SEVERITY or
>>> greater which are not SQLState Class '08'.  These exception cause
>>> loss of connection by the application.  There is a list at the
>>> bottom of this mail.  I thought all of these should be
>>> SQLNonTransientConnectionExceptions,
>> SQLNonTransientConnectionException aligns with SQL State class value
>> 08 from 23.1, table 32 of the sql2003 spec.
> Thank you Lance for looking at this.
> The DRDA Spec section 8.1 defines SQLState mappings to 58XXX which
> don't fall into table 32 and would seem to conflict with the 08006
> exceptions.  Any thoughts on what to do with these?
I have not looked at the DRDA spec, but i was puzzled by the mapping
based on table 32.  I really cannot do specific mappings for specs like
DRDA in JDBC or I have to do the same for other protocols such as TDS.

I just do not see where DRDA came up with 58 as a valid class value?

Of course, it could be buried in another chapter of SQL2003 in another
document.

regards
lance