db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Requiring Java 5 compiler
Date Mon, 17 Sep 2007 16:15:52 GMT
I would like to start writing Derby code which makes use of Java 5
features. More specifically:

1) I would like to take advantage of the Java 5 extensions for
ease-of-use and stronger type checking.

2) I would like to be able to write regression tests which verify that
user-written Java 5 code runs correctly as Derby functions and procedures.

Would anyone object to our requiring that developers use a Java 5 or
later compiler to build Derby? I believe that we would still require the
presence of the 1.4 libraries and the expectation would continue to be
that the compiler must compile down to 1.4 classes.

Thanks,
-Rick