db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Jørgen Løland <Jorgen.Lol...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Debugging Replication
Date Tue, 11 Sep 2007 09:23:53 GMT
Mayuresh Nirhali wrote:
> I would like to know if there are any thoughts around debugging the
> proposed Replication functionality ??
> I am not following these discussions closely enough yet! But, I would
> like to know if for example the logShipper will print out some
> information in derby.log when the X log is shipped OR there will be a
> separate machinery like say replicationTrace OR both with different
> levels of debugging information ?
>
> I believe this will be helpful in tracking Replication failures.
> Please excuse if this question is too early in the development effort
> planned!

Hi Mayuresh,

Thanks for a great suggestion. We will definitely take this into account :)

Planning has started for junit testing of the replication feature, but
as far as I know, no plans have been made for writing messages/tracing
to e.g. derby.log. However, I think this is a very good idea. We should
at least have messages like:

derby.log on master:
ReplicationMaster flushTo: 999
ReplicationMaster LogShipper: sent message 1234 to slave, highest log
instant: 999

derby.log on slave:
ReplicationSlave: received message 1234, highest log instant: 999
ReplicationSlave: appended log instant 555
ReplicationSlave: appended log instant 672
ReplicationSlave: appended log instant 999

It is to early to make a guess for how much and detailed information
would be required, but that can be decided upon as the work progresses.
The derby.log messages should be turned on by a replication_debug
variable being true since a lot of messages would otherwise be generated.

--
Jørgen Løland