db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Keeping derby.log after the test failures in junit
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 12:47:16 GMT
Julius Stroffek <Julius.Stroffek@Sun.COM> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed that the derby.log is not kept in any place for the failed
> test during a suite run. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible to
> setup a test in a way that it will keep the derby.log file? Of course,
> there is derby.log in derby.system.home directory but it got
> overwritten couple of time during the suites.All run.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's just that derby.log is
overwritten each time the engine is rebooted. Perhaps running the tests
with derby.infolog.append=true would help? But I guess derby.log would
still be overwritten by the network tests that spawn a new process.

> It makes a sense to me to keep the log file especially in cases when
> you are exploring problem that just happens occasionally.

I agree, that could be really useful in some situations.

One hack that could help you if you have GNU tail installed (called tail
on GNU systems and gtail on other systems), is to have this command
running in another terminal window:

  $ gtail -F derby.log > full-derby.log

With the -F option, tail detects whether the file has been deleted or
truncated and continues reading from the tail of the new file, so you'll
find most of what's been written to derby.log in full-derby.log.

--
Knut Anders