db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.3.1.4 released
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:21:40 GMT
Matt Doran <matt.doran@papercut.biz> writes:

> Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@...> writes:
>

>> The Apache Derby project is pleased to announce a new feature release
>> of Derby, 10.3.1.4.
>>

> Excellent work.  Congrats on the release!
>
> We've been using Derby in our commercial product PaperCut NG
> (http://www.papercut.biz/products/ng/) for about 2 years.  It's proven to be a
> rock-solid DB.   Thanks for all the good work!

Thanks, that's a great message for us to hear!

It's a bit disappointing, though, that the web page mentions Microsoft
SQL Server and PostgreSQL, but not Apache Derby... ;)

>> * Performance and Memory Usage
>>   o Reduces CPU usage in embedded mode.
>
> Can anyone provide any more information on the above point?   I had a look at
> Jira  but couldn't find the issue(s) related to this.

There has been a number of smaller fixes. I think the most significant
contributor for single-user configurations was

  DERBY-827 - Performance can be improved by re-using language
  ResultSets across Activation executions

For multi-user configurations, the following JIRAs should give an
additional noticeable reduction in CPU usage:

  DERBY-1704 - Allow more concurrency in the lock manager
  DERBY-2107 - Move page latching out of the lock manager
  DERBY-2114 - Let Clock embed a HashMap rather than inherit from
  Hashtable

Also, http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease contains
pointers to some more performance improvements (see the section named
Non-functional improvements).

--
Knut Anders