db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Release Spacing, was: Snapshots for testing
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:00:00 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Bryan Pendleton wrote:

>>> Alternatively, we could have smaller, more frequent releases.
>>>
>>> In my dream world, I'd like to see Derby releases occur about twice
>>> as frequently as they currently do.
>>>
>>> I'm sure this would require streamlining the release process, but
>>> perhaps we could put effort into that.
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>>
>>> bryan
>>>
>> According to our download page, it took 14 months to produce 10.2 and
>> 10 months to produce 10.3. I also would like to see a shorter, more
>> regular spacing between feature releases. I think that the community
>> could tolerate 6 month spacings between feature releases. The
>> following discipline might help:
>>
> I think maintenance releases are also important.  If we can produce a
> maintenance release at the three month interval, we can hopefully
> start to get a handle on our growing bug backlog and deliver fixes
> more quickly to users. I am hoping for example that our next release
> will be 10.3.2.0.
>
> Kathey

It would be great if someone could volunteer soon to release manage
10.3.2.0 three months from now. That might help keep the bug-fix release
from slipping too far out. I'm worried that the community would be
exhausted by a feature release which followed too closely on the heels
of the bug-fix release.

Regards,
-Rick