db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Release Spacing, was: Snapshots for testing
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:51:09 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:

> Alternatively, we could have smaller, more frequent releases.
>
> In my dream world, I'd like to see Derby releases occur about twice
> as frequently as they currently do.
>
> I'm sure this would require streamlining the release process, but
> perhaps we could put effort into that.
>
> thanks,
>
> bryan

According to our download page, it took 14 months to produce 10.2 and 10
months to produce 10.3. I also would like to see a shorter, more regular
spacing between feature releases. I think that the community could
tolerate 6 month spacings between feature releases. The following
discipline might help:

1) As soon as the community vets a feature release, someone should
volunteer to produce the next feature release in 6 months. That boosts
our confidence that someone will actually be willing to carry the burden
when the time comes.

2) Knowing that release date, the community can plan. Contributors can
make sure that half-finished features are disabled or otherwise not
exposed when we get into the home-stretch.

And I agree that we should keep investing in improvements to our release
process. A less onerous process would make it easier to recruit the
volunteer needed in step (1).

Regards,
-Rick