db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: What fix version to use for fixes merged to the 10.3 branch?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 15:20:50 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Jean T. Anderson wrote:
>
>> The only
>> people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
>> following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the
>> conditions placed on the package."
>>
>> So it's fine to post the location of a snapshot to the mail list so
>> users can test it.
>
> By "the mail list" you mean "the derby-dev mail list", right? So "users"
> can test it but only if they follow derby-dev list.

If I remember the discussions last year on legal-discuss (?), I think
strong opinions were stated that it should be on the dev list (I'd have
to go back and look). But there would be no problem with posting to the
user list about snapshots being available for review and "check the
traffic on the dev list" (perhaps providing the URL to make it easy for
users to check the dev list).

What was really clear was there should be no pointers to the snapshots
on the web site -- and we did a swift cleanup on the web site to both
remove links to snapshots and also increase the separation of dev and
user info. One example of the latter was we moved information about
source from the Download tab to the Community tab.

-jean