db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: What fix version to use for fixes merged to the 10.3 branch?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 01:46:09 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>
>> Not uneasiness, simply not allowed by Apache release policy.
>
> Seems kind of contrary to the open source model where we want users
> actively involved in testing.  But what is, is I guess.

and here's the actual policy from [1]:

"During the process of developing software and preparing a release,
various packages are made available to the developer community for
testing purposes. Do not include any links on the project website that
might encourage non-developers to download and use nightly builds,
snapshots, release candidates, or any other similar package. The only
people who are supposed to know about such packages are the people
following the dev list (or searching its archives) and thus aware of the
conditions placed on the package."

So it's fine to post the location of a snapshot to the mail list so
users can test it. It just isn't fine to make it readily accessible from
a web site because it might (likely) get downloaded for something other
than test purposes.

 -jean

[1] http://www.apache.org/dev/release.html