db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What fix version to use for fixes merged to the 10.3 branch?
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 17:49:36 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 8/13/07, Kathey Marsden <kmarsdenderby@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks for pointing this out, Bryan. I have marked 10.3.1.4 as
>>> released. I have also added 10.3.2.0 as the next release vehicle on
>>> the 10.3 branch.
>>>

>> I thought tradition was to bump the forth digit after release.
>> (10.3.1.5) and wait until shortly before the maintenance release to bump
>> to 10.3.2.0, to indicate the additional testing was done for the
>> maintenance release.   This is a useful model for users pulling fixes
>> off of the  maintenance branch, because the version shows that their
>> have been changes since the official release but no additional formal
>> testing done beyond the nightlies.
>>

> It's also useful to have whatever is currently reported as the version
> in sysinfo available as an option in JIRA.
>
> I added a 10.3.1.5 to JIRA, but it doesn't appear that the version
> number has been bumped yet. Typically that is done right after
> generating the release candidate artifacts. If noone objects, I'll
> bump the version number on the branch to 10.3.1.5 later this evening
> or tomorrow morning.

I bumped the version id on the 10.3 branch this morning. This is step 19
out of 32. It is the humble opinion of this release manager that this
step would make more sense after step 21. That is because you don't
really want to keep bumping the release number if you encounter problems
during steps 20 and 21.

For some reason, the regex.masters target did not update the canons--at
first I thought that maybe those tests had finally been fixed so that
they didn't need tweaking every time you hit step 19. I manually updated
the canons.
> Also, I'll merge all the development versions in JIRA into the
> released 10.3.1.4, now that they are no longer needed. This step
> should be added to the DerbySnapshotOrRelease instructions, as I don't
> believe that specific task is mentioned there yet.
>
> andrew

Looking forward to step 33!

Thanks,
-Rick