db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Olav Sandstaa <Olav.Sands...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [ANNOUNCE] Apache Derby 10.3.1.4 released
Date Tue, 14 Aug 2007 07:27:56 GMT
Matt Doran wrote:
> Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@...> writes:
>
>> * Performance and Memory Usage
>>   o Reduces CPU usage in embedded mode.
>>

> Can anyone provide any more information on the above point?   I had a look at
> Jira  but couldn't find the issue(s) related to this.

There were several performance improvements that went in to this
release. I probably do not remember all of them but here are at least some:

  * Reuse of ResultSet (DERBY-827)
  * New lock manager - CPU reduction mostly as a result of much less
synchronization (several JIRAs, eg. DERBY-1704)
  * Move latching out of lock manager (DERBY-2107)
  * BitSet manipulations (several JIRAs, e.g DERBY-2226, 2191)
  * Reduced use of synchronization (several JIRAs, eg 2149, 2150)

For some examples comparing the performance of Derby 10.2 and Derby 10.3
see for instance slide 29 in:

http://home.online.no/~olmsan/publications/pres/apachecon07eu/DerbyApacheCon07eu.pdf

or slide 30 in:

http://home.online.no/~olmsan/publications/pres/jazoon07/JavaDbJazoon07.pdf

For improvements for some other types of loads see also the results from
a nightly performance regression test which compares trunk to 10.2.2:

   http://home.online.no/~olmsan/derby/perf/

Olav