db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mayuresh Nirhali <Mayuresh.Nirh...@Sun.COM>
Subject Derby network Server in inconsistent stage
Date Tue, 07 Aug 2007 12:03:08 GMT
Hello,

I am running Derby 10.2.2.0 on my Solaris (S10) x86 box.
The derby server has been started as below,

<jdk1.5>/java -Dderby.system.home=<derbydata> -cp
<derbyinstall>/derbynet.jar org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl start

When I do 'ps -aef | grep derby', I see the process running. netstat -a
shows that 1527 is in listen mode.

However, When I try to ping the server I get connection error.

-------------------
java -cp derbynet.jar org.apache.derby.drda.NetworkServerControl ping
Could not connect to Derby Network Server on host localhost, port 1527.
-------------------

Attempt to connect through ij session, or NSC runtimeinfo, all result in
same failure.
I looked in the derby.log and the log shows that the server has been
shutdown. Here is the log,
<snip>
Apache Derby Network Server - 10.2.2.0 - (485682) started and ready to
accept connections on port 1527 at 2007-08-07 10:33:22.743 GMT

2007-08-07 10:33:22.964 GMT:
Shutting down instance c013800d-0114-3fd6-d960-ffffcd3424e3
</snip>

Please note that the derby server is shutdown almost immediately. The
server is not started manually, but it is being started as part of  an
application. This problem occurs  intermittently, hence the problem does
not seem to be in the application that spawns the server.

Has anyone else seen this before ??

TIA
Mayuresh