db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Should I get an IOException or truncated value if read is interupted by deletion of a row
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:50:46 GMT
> do this I am reading from a blobcolumn with getBinaryStream
> (READ_UNCOMMITTED isolation) and delete the row during the read, but

READ_UNCOMMITTED seems very scary to me. According to
http://db.apache.org/derby/docs/dev/devguide/cdevconcepts15366.html
it seems like a very wide range of behavior is possible if it is used.

I agree with you that it would be preferable to get a definite
indication from the engine that the row has been deleted out
from underneath you, but I'm not sure that you can count on much
of anything once you start using READ_UNCOMMITTED.

thanks,

bryan