db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From John Embretsen <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Do I need to provide extra memory flags when using "ant junitreport"?
Date Thu, 02 Aug 2007 10:32:13 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>> I too get a few OutOfMemoryErrors when I run "ant junitreport" with
>> default settings. They disappear if I tell ant to increase the max
>> heap memory to some high value. So far I have not been able to do that
>> from the command line, so I edited the "junit-core" target in
>> build.xml instead:
>
> Thanks John! That's very helpful.
>
> Does this seem like a reasonable change to make permanent? It would
> certainly be nice to be able to run "ant junitreport" more reliably.

Although I would like to know more about why some of the junit suites require
extra memory, I think it would save developers lots of hassle in the mean while
if we check in this change.

Not sure about what value to use, though... In my environment only tests in the
lang._Suite ran out of memory with default settings, and a separate run outside
ant indicated that that suite needs about 170 MB. So I set maxmemory to 256m and
junitreport worked. So I guess 1024m might be a bit overkill (some developers
might not have that much RAM to spend), but something like 256m or 512m should
keep the noise down for a while.

I'll create a Jira for this, and see what happens.

--
John