db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dyre.Tjeldv...@Sun.COM
Subject Re: network server overhead
Date Wed, 25 Jul 2007 11:03:30 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> I ran a simple test of executing VALUES 1 using a prepared statement
> over the network server in auto-commit mode. 10.3 seemed to be the
> same performance as 10.2, maybe up to 4% slower. The 10.2 numbers for
> me were consistent, but the 10.3 numbers seemed to vary from 96% to
> 100% of the 10.2 numbers.

I see a similar performance drop (see attached PDF file). (The
variablility seems to be about the same though).

> I was actually surprised because I thought I seen some claims of much
> faster performance with 10.3 server.
>
> I was getting around 1,630 transactions per second (each transaction
> is a VALUES 1 statement) on a 100Mbit network.
>
> Did anyone make changes in 10.3 that they think would make this simple
> test improve, or is anyone working on reducing the basic overhead for
> client server?

> Are the nio changes intended to improve performance?

If you're referring to Knut's work I think the answer is yes, but
initially he could not see much improvement. (Knut is on vacation for
the next 3 weeks and may not read derby-dev mail that often).

--
dt