db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject 10.3 - to release or not to release?
Date Sat, 07 Jul 2007 00:51:28 GMT
Hi,

I've been looking over the fixed and open bugs for the 10.3 release,
and there is a lot of good stuff...

However, there are also some worrying aspects:
- There are a number of Critical bugs open, most without any
indication of getting a fix. See:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10594&priority=2&resolution=-1

- There are a number of intermittent test regressions so we're not
getting consistently clean test runs. Just look at the platform
testing list to see this:
http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreePlatformTesting
In addition, there are 7 items which never received any Buddy testing...
Further, we still ran into a deterioration in the suites.All at one
point, requiring running with extra memory on many systems, which was
never addressed.

- There are a largish number of open bugs, many of which are marked
affects 10.3., i.e. affect the new functionality added with 10.3.

On the other hand, it seems to me some of the current functionality,
is eagerly awaited by the user community. A number of the critical
bugs are not new with 10.3., or are related to security, which may, or
may not affect a number of our users...And none of them have an
owner...

So, I intend to continue with my stated plan of generating a Release
Candidate and call a vote next Monday, but I would suggest we plan for
a bug fix release off the 10.3 branch to specifically drive down the
number of bugs...

Thx,
Myrna