db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: J2ME rev level
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 13:52:58 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> On 7/30/07, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What rev level of CDC/Foundation are we claiming to support in 10.3?
>>> CDC/Foundation 1.0 or CDC/Foundation 1.1? I notice that the 10.3 code
>>> includes calls to Throwable.initCause(), which I thought was not
>>> supported in CDC/Foundation 1.0. See
>>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2210
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Rick
>>>

>> I thought DERBY-2210 and DERBY-2228 indicate the move to Foundation 1.1.
>> But, these issues do say it was supposed to be backwards compatible to
>> 1.0, I think?
>>
>> Which may not be true because of DERBY-2472... & revision 520663...and
>> others?

DERBY-2210 says that Foundation 1.1 is backward compatible with
Foundation 1.0 (that is, an application written for 1.0 should work on
1.1), not that Derby is compatible with Foundation 1.0. It also mentions
that the change will allow use of initCause(), so I don't think the
intention was to be compatible with 1.0.

>> Myrna
>>
> Thanks for pointers to those other JIRAs, Myrna. It looks as though the
> following may be the case:
>
> 1) Derby implements the CDC/Foundation 1.0 api.
>
> 2) However, Derby runs on CDC/Foundation 1.1 implementations provided
> that the application does not invoke any incremental api introduced by
> CDC/Foundation 1.1.

I'm not sure the above statements are quite accurate. Derby does not
implement the Foundation 1.0 (or 1.1) API. That would be similar to
saying that Derby implements Java SE 6. I also don't think there is
anything in Derby that will make applications fail if they use new
methods in the Foundation 1.1 API. What Derby implements, is the JDBC
3.0 subset specified in JSR-169. The Foundation 1.0/1.1 specs do not
include the java.sql and javax.sql packages, so no API changes were
required for Derby when moving from Foundation 1.0 to 1.1.

> 3) When run on a CDC/Foundation 1.0 implementation, Derby may raise
> method-not-found exceptions. This may happen if Derby error processing
> tries to invoke Throwable.initCause().

I don't think a CDC/Foundation 1.0 implementation will be able to load
the classes in derby.jar since it is on JVM level 1.3 and Derby is
compiled with source level and target level set to 1.4.

--
Knut Anders