db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Reg: tracing of derby functioning
Date Tue, 24 Jul 2007 10:11:31 GMT
anuj bhargava wrote:
> Hello
> I am Anuj and I am working on my final year project for which  i need to
> understand internals of derby specially locking. I have gone through
> transaction and lock modules in derby. but i still didn't get it fully.
> Is there any way or tool  to trace functioning of derby like when a
> transaction comes, which function is used to form query tree and then
> optimization , and then how it interacts with lock manager like what
> type of lock it gets, which function is used to release locks and then
> commit transaction, where updated values before and after  updatation
> are stored if transaction is update one.

Hello Anuj,

I am not aware of any such specialized tools. My advice would be to
(continue) read the code and see if there are any papers/writeups that
can give you an overview. Then maybe use a debugger to step through a
simple transaction. You can then also change things in the setup, like
the isolation level.

I do not know much about the parser or optimizer, but I do know the
plans are created as generated Java byte code. There is an option to
dump the generated class files so that you can look at them (after using
a decompiler?).

There might be useful information here;
http://db.apache.org/derby/integrate/index.html (look in the left column
under Papers). I recommend looking at Dans presentation from Colorado
2004 (Software Summit).

Sorry I can't help you more, but maybe someone else will add some
valuable input. I think many people on the list are in release or
vacation mode, so a little patience and a reminder might pay off :)

Just out of curiosity, which version of Derby have you been studying?
There has been some changes in the areas you are looking into.

regards,
--
Kristian