db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject network server overhead
Date Sat, 21 Jul 2007 04:02:18 GMT
I ran a simple test of executing VALUES 1 using a prepared statement
over the network server in auto-commit mode. 10.3 seemed to be the same
performance as 10.2, maybe up to 4% slower. The 10.2 numbers for me were
consistent, but the 10.3 numbers seemed to vary from 96% to 100% of the
10.2 numbers.

I was actually surprised because I thought I seen some claims of much
faster performance with 10.3 server.

I was getting around 1,630 transactions per second (each transaction is
a VALUES 1 statement) on a 100Mbit network.

Did anyone make changes in 10.3 that they think would make this simple
test improve, or is anyone working on reducing the basic overhead for
client server? Are the nio changes intended to improve performance?

Thanks,
Dan.