db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: predicates missing from the optimized tree dump
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 23:51:59 GMT
> I want to understand if this was intentionally left this way so that the
> output does not become too long or is this something that is missing(I
> would assume atleast the predicates to be dumped out).

In a couple cases I've encountered what I felt were missing overrides
of printSubNodes myself, so my instinct is that this was an oversight,
not intentional, and would be useful functionality to add.

In general, we've been pretty liberal with the verbosity of the
tree-dumping, as it tends to be only used by the developers.

There have been periodic discussions about improving this section
of the system. The suggestion that has gathered a lot of support is
to capture the internal query plan dump output into XML format and
store it into special tables directly in the database itself, where
we could then use Derby's own XML features to process it effectively.

However, such a feature has not yet been implemented.

thanks,

bryan