db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: again, another 10.3.1. release candidate?
Date Thu, 19 Jul 2007 03:33:43 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There was a discussion ensuing from DERBY-2896, which I think should
> be a general discussion item, following mamta's check-in for a fix for
> that critical issue.
>
>
> Knut Anders Wrote:
>> >The changes in metadata.properties will not be picked up when you 
>> upgrade from 10.3.1.x to 10.3.2.x.
>>
> Kathey replied:
>> This filed as DERBY-1107 and I think is a good reason to have a new 
>> release candidate.  I think other critical issues such as DERBY-2437 
>> and the regression DERBY-2892 might be worth waiting for too if they 
>> can be fixed in short order.  I wouldn't veto a release at this point 
>> but would probably vote -0.
>
>
> It seems to me that even though Kathey doesn't want to hold up the
> release, she really doesn't want a release without this fix.
> Which to me sounds like a new release candidate, which, as we've got a
> vote outstanding, means holding up the release. :-)
>
> But Kathey's email poses some options
> 1. I can do a fairly quick turn-around and make another release
> candidate after Mamta backports the fix to 10.3. If I can build the
> files tonight or tomorrow morning early, I can test, and call a vote
> around noon, that would give us until July 26th noon (PDT) and I could
> maybe still close the vote and hope that the maven work and web page
> work can be finished on that day, or leave it to Rick to do that part
> once he's back the week after.
>
> 2. We can wait until someone fixes DERBY-2892 for 10.3. I have not
> heard anything positive, nor a time frame for such a fix. If a fix
> happens before the 26th, I can generate new build files and open the
> voting, but someone else (Rick when he's back form
> vacation/conference?) will have to finish up the work for this
> release.
>
> 3. We can wait even further until other critical issues such as
> DERBY-2437 are fixed. I want to point out, that no has volunteered to
> own that one at this point, so we might be waiting indefinitely. I
> can, as I have suggested before, pick up the release work in
> September, and we can see how far the fixes are then. Or someone else
> can volunteer.
>
> Kathey, please be explicit, which 'other' issues except DERBY-2437 do
> you think are necessary to receive a fix?
>
>
Well, since DERBY-2905 is a regression, I would love to see that one 
fixed, but I wouldn't call it necessary.

I would like to see the analysis of DERBY-2656 complete.  I can finish 
that by Monday.

Ramin is I think close to a patch for DERBY-2925 which would fix 
DERBY-2437, but I am not sure how strongly Dag feels about that being 
the wrong solution.  It has the advantage of being a solution.

DERBY-1107 is I think not an easy bug to fix, so I think we should have 
a release candidate for DERBY-2896 to avoid having to fix it.  That is 
the primary issue.

So my vote would be to plan to make a new release candidate on Monday 
and hopefully we will be able to make a dent in some of these  issues. 
People can continue banging away on 10.3 and see if we can pop more 
issues.  Perhaps we'll even get  more bugs fixed. 

Kathey






Mime
View raw message