db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Vemund Ostgaard <Vemund.Ostga...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: PROPOSAL: 10.3.2.x release in mid-September?
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 10:14:03 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> As stated in my comment on the TERRITORY_BASED collation problem at: 
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2896#action_12513395
>
> This problem greatly limits the use of TERRITORY_BASED collation and 
> for the sake of that feature needs to be fixed quickly.  Rather than 
> hold up the release along with all the other features and fixes I am 
> proposing a 10.3.2.x release be planned for 4-6 weeks following 
> 10.3.2.1 (assuming this is approved next week).  This release would 
> correct DERBY-2896 and any other problems that might be reported and 
> backported in the early days of 10.3.
>
> Does this sound like a good plan or would producing a 'fix' release be 
> a lot more work/testing than stopping 10.3.1.2 and waiting for this to 
> be fixed?  I figure it best to hash this out now rather than waiting 
> until the day of the vote.
>
I think a 10.3.2 release that includes a number of bugfixes that do not 
make it for 10.3.1 would be a good thing. The motivation in the 
community to spend time on fixing these bugs will decide how useful it 
is, I guess. If a significant number of bugs are fixed, then the work 
involved in creating a 10.3.2 release will seem worth it.

In principle I think the 10.3.1 release should be judged independently 
of whether there will be a bugfix release shortly after or not. I don't 
think a future bugfix release should influence whether a bug is a 
blocker or not for this release.

Vemund

Mime
View raw message