db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 10.3 branch backports...
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 17:30:14 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I realize I haven't said what I wanted to go on the 10.3 branch at this
> point.
>
> I would like to minimize the changes to what has been identified as
> critical issues at this point; once we have a release, the 'normal'
> rules for backporting to a branch apply.
>
> So, Kathey, if you could backport your fix for the grantRevoke test
> fir DERBY-2893? *If* we need another candidate this fix should be in.

That actually wasn't a critical issue once it was resolved to be a test
problem.

> Dan, if you could hold your backport plans for your intended changes?
> Same for Bryan and the fix for DERBY-2902; but you already said you'd
> wait, thx...

Why not allow these fixes in under normal branch backporting rules,
especially now that blob/clob changes are apparently needed? Isn't
better to have fixes in the release? Bryan's fix, for example is zero
risk. Most of my changes would be to improve the testing, I would think
carefully about putting the my changes for DERBY-2775 in since they are
more widespread, but they will go into the branch at some point.

One of the rules for a release is that it must not halt development,
seems like not allowing fixes into a branch is halting development.

Dan.