db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway <Oystein.Grov...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.3 - to release or not to release?
Date Tue, 10 Jul 2007 12:47:27 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> On 7/9/07, Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradbury@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> >
>>> Hi Myrna -
>>> Thanks for the through release report.  I took a look at the critical
>>> bug list and am concerned about the regression that causes locking
>>> problems:
>>> DERBY-2892 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2892> - this is
>>> a regression of the DERBY-255 fix and, though it was introduced in 10.2,
>>> should be addressed quickly.  Has anyone look at the checkin that might
>>> have caused the regression?
>>
>> No one has signed up.
> Hi Myrna,
> I personally tend to think the release should be held up for this fix.
> If we take the philosophy that we don't have to fix a regression because
> it regressed a while ago we will constantly lose ground.
> It looks like the fix though will be different in 10.2 versus 10.3.  I
> am looking at 10.2, but am not totally confident that I can get it fixed
> in short order.  I would most appreciate if someone familiar with lob
> locators could take a look at the 10.3 fix.

I will take a look at how this can be solved for 10.3.  However, I do
not think this issue is severe enough to stop the release.  We are
talking about a regression in 10.2 that was not discovered until over
half a year after it was released.

I am not saying that we do not need to fix this regression. I am saying
that 10.3.1 can be released without a fix, but that it should be fixed
by a subsequent 10.3 update release.

In my opinion, we have gotten so far in the release process now that
unless it is of significantly less quality than previous releases we
should ship the release.

--
Øystein