db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: 10.3 - to release or not to release?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 19:22:09 GMT
Stanley Bradbury wrote:
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've been looking over the fixed and open bugs for the 10.3 release,
>> and there is a lot of good stuff...
>>
>> However, there are also some worrying aspects:
>> - There are a number of Critical bugs open, most without any
>> indication of getting a fix. See:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10594&priority=2&resolution=-1

>> - There are a number of intermittent test regressions so we're not
>> getting consistently clean test runs. Just look at the platform
>> testing list to see this:
>> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreePlatformTesting
>> In addition, there are 7 items which never received any Buddy testing...
>> Further, we still ran into a deterioration in the suites.All at one
>> point, requiring running with extra memory on many systems, which was
>> never addressed.
>>
>> - There are a largish number of open bugs, many of which are marked
>> affects 10.3., i.e. affect the new functionality added with 10.3.
>>
>> On the other hand, it seems to me some of the current functionality,
>> is eagerly awaited by the user community. A number of the critical
>> bugs are not new with 10.3., or are related to security, which may, or
>> may not affect a number of our users...And none of them have an
>> owner...
>>
>> So, I intend to continue with my stated plan of generating a Release
>> Candidate and call a vote next Monday, but I would suggest we plan for
>> a bug fix release off the 10.3 branch to specifically drive down the
>> number of bugs...
>>
>> Thx,
>> Myrna
>>
> Hi Myrna -
> Thanks for the through release report.  I took a look at the critical
> bug list and am concerned about the regression that causes locking
> problems: DERBY-2892
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2892> - this is a
> regression of the DERBY-255 fix and, though it was introduced in 10.2,
> should be addressed quickly.  Has anyone look at the checkin that
> might have caused the regression?
> DERBY-326 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-326> (svn 405037).
If someone volunteers to scratch this itch imminently, then I think we
should consider delaying the release. Otherwise, I would not let this
10.2 bug gate the release of other quality improvements. Hopefully this
issue will find a champion soon or at least in time for the 10.3
maintenance release.

Regards,
-Rick