db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 10.3 - to release or not to release?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:05:20 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've been looking over the fixed and open bugs for the 10.3 release,
> and there is a lot of good stuff...
>
> However, there are also some worrying aspects:
> - There are a number of Critical bugs open, most without any
> indication of getting a fix. See:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/IssueNavigator.jspa?reset=true&pid=10594&priority=2&resolution=-1

> - There are a number of intermittent test regressions so we're not
> getting consistently clean test runs. Just look at the platform
> testing list to see this:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/TenThreePlatformTesting
> In addition, there are 7 items which never received any Buddy testing...
> Further, we still ran into a deterioration in the suites.All at one
> point, requiring running with extra memory on many systems, which was
> never addressed.
>
> - There are a largish number of open bugs, many of which are marked
> affects 10.3., i.e. affect the new functionality added with 10.3.
>
> On the other hand, it seems to me some of the current functionality,
> is eagerly awaited by the user community. A number of the critical
> bugs are not new with 10.3., or are related to security, which may, or
> may not affect a number of our users...And none of them have an
> owner...
>
> So, I intend to continue with my stated plan of generating a Release
> Candidate and call a vote next Monday, but I would suggest we plan for
> a bug fix release off the 10.3 branch to specifically drive down the
> number of bugs...
>
> Thx,
> Myrna

Hi Myrna -
Thanks for the through release report.  I took a look at the critical
bug list and am concerned about the regression that causes locking
problems:
DERBY-2892 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2892> - this is
a regression of the DERBY-255 fix and, though it was introduced in 10.2,
should be addressed quickly.  Has anyone look at the checkin that might
have caused the regression?
DERBY-326 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-326> (svn 405037).

This also concerns me because I assume the problem is because of the
collation differences between the SYS schema and the User Database - I
am not upto date on this issue - can it be resolved?
DERBY-2896 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2896>   -  It
sounds like DatabaseMetaData calls will fail when TERRITORY_BASED
collation is used.  This will mean that many IDEs will not work with
these databases.  Since this is a new feature it will not break existing
systems but will slow use of the feature.