db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Release note suggestions WAS Re: [VOTE] 10.3.1.1
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 14:22:08 GMT
Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After the testing of 10.3.1.0 beta as documented on the testing pages
> for the DerbyTenThreeRelease
> (see:http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease#head-c6b20b58527b8de23f358548756f36e643da2e71),

> I have now prepared a release candidate, 10.3.1.1 (build/revision
> 554502). It is available on:

Looking at the release notes I have a couple of suggestions for future
releases.

1) Just list features as features, not "big" & "small". I don't see how
the determination was made than one feature was "big" and one "small".
It doesn't correlate to amount of effort and labeling a feature as small
might disappoint a contributor who worked hard to implement their feature.

2) For release notes that describe corrected SQL query behaviour I don't
think the summaries should use the term "different", as in "different
results" or "behave differently", e.g. Notes for DERBY-2526, DERBY-2370
& others. What is really happening is the queries have been changed to
return *correct* results. To a reader "different" (in the summary) seems
kind of vague and worrying.

Dan.