db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Gunnar Borstad <oleg...@stud.ntnu.no>
Subject Re: JMX-management and monitoring
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 08:15:25 GMT
Thanks for your reply, David. To clarify, Apache Commons is currently
used to ease the implementation of *Model MBeans*, which is a generic
Dynamic Bean. This means that a generic bean is paired
programmatically with the resource it is going to manage. This is in
contrast to coding a specific bean for a resource. We can still use
Dynamic MBeans even if we base the majority of the beans on standard
ones.

The plan for my work now is somewhat like this (in agreement with my
mentor Bernt Johnsen):

1. Refactor the current functionality to Standard MBeans:
   - Stopping a database (not the derby server)
   - Viewing and modifying some Derby properties

2. Expand the properties functionality. Currently this is very limited.

3. Create an MBean for NetworkServerControl, essentially making the
API available through a management interface.

I hope this will give a good start on Derby management and monitoring,
at least give something to work on further and produce some discussion
on user/developer needs. I welcome suggestions and thoughts!

Ole Gunnar

Siterer David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com>:

> Hi, Ole.  Your analysis seems reasonable.  The management
requirements
> for Derby are pretty minimal and pretty static, and it is always
good
> to keep things as simple as possible for Derby, both for
development
> and distribution/deployment.  Adding more jar files also increases
the
> size.  I didn't know the use of Dynamic MBeans required the Apache
> Commons stuff, or if that was just a quick way of implementing the
> functionality.  But if we don't need dynamic beans, let's keep it
> simple.
>
> David
>
> On 7/10/07, Ole Gunnar Borstad <olegunb@stud.ntnu.no> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am working on management and monitoring through JMX in Derby.
Prior
>> work on this includes a patch in Derby-1387 that has some working
>> functionality, i.e. viewing properties and shutting down a single
>> database. I think this patch shows great potential for management
>> features in Derby. The code uses the Apache Commons Modeler
framework
>> for defining Model MBeans, because developing these Beans
completely
>> manually is rather cumbersome and error prone. Model MBeans are
the
>> most flexible MBeans through the use of several metadata classes,
>> which enables the managed resource and management interface to be
>> specified at runtime.
>>
>> Upon further development of this module, I have tried to analyze
the
>> choice of MBeans for Derby. The use of different types of MBeans
can
>> of course be combined, but if there is no real need for the
generic
>> nature of Model MBeans, it might be a better choice to go with
>> Standard MBeans as the main choice and not depend on any framework
>> like Commons. This framework implies two additional JARs for Derby
and
>> increasing code complexity through XML-metadata and
API-dependencies.
>> The advantage of using this configuration is that existing
resources
>> can easily be instrumented for management through an XML-metadata
>> file. I am not sure if this is true for Derby, because the
resources
>> can not always be instrumented automatically. An example is the
Derby
>> properties. These do not have a coherent access interface (depends
on
>> how properties are set or if defaults are used), so making
>> getter-methods for these in a management module is not trival and
>> should be done by hand.
>>
>> The advantages of using Model MBeans and thus a framework like
Commons
>> seem unclear to me at this point. Coding Standard or Dynamic
MBeans