db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject Re: Derby developing, how to do debug.
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 23:06:55 GMT
Knut Magne Solem <knutmas@idi.ntnu.no> writes:

> I forgot one thing.. I had some trouble to get debugging to work
> properly  in Eclipse with the 10.2.2.0 distribution on
> http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html. After some
> troubleshooting i solved it by compiling Derby after enabling
> debugging in  ant.properties and adding debuglevel="lines,vars,source"
> in all the  build.xml in the source tree. Is it supposed to be that
> hard or could I do  it differently?

Check out http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/BuildingDerby if you didn't
already for setting up Derby with Netbeans or Eclipse.

I have the following properties set in my ~/ant.properties file (Unix,
Linux), and can debug with Netbeans, for example, to step through
source and view variables etc.

:
sane=true
debug=true

I think the last line is supposed to be unnecessary, but I added it
once because I didn't get line info for some parts of the code (forget
where) - maybe that has been fixed now.

Caveat: In Netbeans, make sure the check boxes in Sources pane in the
debugger are set for Derby source code - if not, you will not be able
to step in the Derby code.

Sometimes I use plain jdb, Emacs/jdee, or jswat as well for the small
peak.

And don't forget that println is still your friend ;) And
Thread.dumpStack() can be a quick way to figure out where a method is
called from.. ;)

Good luck!

Dag