db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: svn commit: r543183 - in /db/derby/code/trunk/java: engine/org/apache/derby/impl/sql/compile/UnaryOperatorNode.java testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/tests/lang/CollationTest.java
Date Fri, 01 Jun 2007 07:54:18 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

> Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
>> Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> writes:

>>> No. I think Sun states for their VM that applications should not use
>>> classes in the com.sun domain.
>>
>> How would com.sun.org.apache be different from com.sun.crypto,
>> com.ibm.crypto and com.sun.jndi.ldap, which all are used in the current
>> code base?
>
> Doh, I was thinking of the sun.* packages:
>  http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/faq/faq-sun-packages.html
>
> Sorry.
>
> Ideally derby wouldn't have any dependency on a specific JVM vendor's
> classes, especially if there are standard classes (java[x].*) to
> perform the same functionality. One fact would be are those classes
> documented as part of the JVM implementation?

The JAXP reference implementation (https://jaxp.dev.java.net/) documents
the package names in its Compatibility Guide.

It looks like most of SqlXmlUtil could be written against java[x].*
interfaces, with the exception of the two methods (loadSerializer() and
serializeToString()) that use the Xalan classes. Since Xalan's interface
is currently not in the Java SE spec, an approach with an internal
serializer interface with the possibility for different implementations
sounds reasonable to me.

--
Knut Anders