db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Jira...Release Note Needed & Existing Application Impact
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:55:16 GMT
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been struggling with the semantics/use/purpose of the flags, in
> > particular 'Existing Application Impact' and 'Release Note Needed'...
> >
> > I am wondering if we should have a short hint behind the flags.
> >
> > Something like:
> > Patch Available: indicates that a patch is available for review and/or
> > commit. Gets picked up by daily automated mail.
> > Existing Application impact.An existing application can be impacted by
> > the solution to this issue.
> > Regression; the behavior described is worse than in previous
> > versions/builds.
> > Release Note Needed: indicates a releaseNote.html is/should be
> > attached. The releaseNote.html will be automatically included in the
> > RELEASE-NOTES.html at release time when this flag is on.
> >
> > Myrna
> Where would we put these hints? There's a nicely formatted explanation
> of Derby JIRAs attached to
> http://db.apache.org/derby/DerbyBugGuidelines.html However, it doesn't
> mention a number of interesting fields, including the Urgency field and
> the flags. That page, in turn, is also referenced by the wiki:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev The instructions for creating a
> release note are hung off a wiki page dealing with the patch process:
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyCommitProcess
>
> It would be good to have one place where a new developer could go to
> learn our JIRA-related conventions. Is there such a page already and I
> just can't find it? Is the nicely formatted document the right
> place--and it just needs to be refreshed with more information and new
> screen shots?
>
> Thanks,
> -Rick

I was actually thinking that in jira - instead of only the 'short'
description we have now, we'd add the longer things I just mentioned..
But, on second thought, that probably means the 'title' of the flag
would be the long thing, in which case, the clarifying the wiki is the
right thing to do. I'll go do that.

Myrna