db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Terminology question - are dblook, ij, and sysinfo Tools or Utilties?
Date Fri, 08 Jun 2007 20:59:04 GMT
On 6/8/07, Kim Haase <Camilla.Haase@sun.com> wrote:
> In my experience, "tool" and "utility" are synonyms and can be used
> interchangeably. Of course, if we follow the elementary tech writing
> rule "Always use the same word to mean the same thing," we ought to
> choose one of them and use it consistently, but that may be too much to
> ask in community-generated docs. The merger of the GS and WWD books does
> give you a chance to do it right for these, though!
>
> Which you use I think depends on whether you prefer Anglo-Saxon
> monosyllables or Latinate polysyllables.
>
> HTH,
> Kim

Since we have an entire guide "Derby Tools and Utilities Guide"
devoted to these, it seems to me someone, somewhere felt that there
was a difference for Derby. I have seen them used interchangably too
(and don't have a preference since I can claim heritage from both the
Anglo-Saxons and Latins :-) but we should be consistent and use 1
term.

Since we are so close to the release candidate, I am going to just
leave things as they are and open a separate JIRA issue for changing
this and making it consistent in the Derby docs.  I just need some
feedback from derby-dev before I open the issue.

I'm hoping that someone will provide me with a rational for each term :-)
Laura

--
Laura Stewart